No heat in new cast iron radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased and fitted a new cast iron radiator in the same location as the previous radiator, with some minor piping alterations.

The existing central heating system uses a gas boiler heating a hot water tank upstairs.

My Problem :

When I turn the heating on this is the only radiator that does not get hot (I know cast iron rads take a while to heat up). The feed pipe going into the radiator is also not getting hot. The radiator is full of water as I have bled it.

I have tried turning all other rads off + hot water. NO JOY! (pipes don't get hot either)

The only way I can get hot water into the radiator is to remove the bleed screw. BINGO! this work, not very practicable. So I thought there was an air block in the return pipe.

So I closed the feed valve, opened the return valve, and removed the bleed screw. DISCO! this work, water comes flying out.

I give up !!! Can anyone help !

Sponsored Links
What alterations did you make to the pipework. Is your system vented or sealed?

Thanks for quick response.

The old radiator was longer than the new cast iron one. So basically I extended the original pipework. I also renewed the return pipework at the joint for aesthetic reasons.

The heating system is vented.

water coming out the bleed screw doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a flow through the radiator. It could be an airlock in the pipe, which can be a real problem with vented systems.

Had a similar case a few weeks back when I fitted a replacement radiator. I recommend upgrading to a sealed system and no doubt I will get called back before winter to do the job.

A heating engineer would charge less than 200 quid to do the necessary work. Also use fernox MB1 when refilling system.

Sponsored Links
Might be worth checking the valves are opening properly. Remove rad, add hose to valve and you should get v good flow - both sides. May even clear an air lock, especially if valves don't open much.

:D
Problem Solved.
I took the radiator off to check the valves and the ends of the radiator were bunged up with silicone.
I had put plumbers silicone seal on the threads for extra sealing.
Obviously when I screwed the valves in, all the silicone travelled to the end of the thread and bunged up the holes.
How stupid do I feel! :oops:

Thanks you your replies.
I think this forum is one of the best I have used.

NO need to feel stupid at all. That sort of thing can always surprise anyone - I bet you didn't hink you had anything like enough silicone on it. Its also easy to stretch ptfe across the end of a rad fitting!

Thanks for letting us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back