No mains water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks, here is my story dont know if they are connected but want to give as much detail as possible. I have a Vaillant 824E combi boiler and have had trouble showing since xmas, firstly when the radiator timer came on we got no hot water to radiators...eventually they got hot ? then lately hot water upstairs came on then went cold...googled and at first thought it might be diverter valve...Then my wife found out one of her friends partner is a gas engineer and he offered to take a look. His initial thoughts were to clean the system and change the valve, said he had one and promised to come back. He did...unfortunately things had changed, we went away for the weekend in our caravan and as is usual i turn off boiler mains electric..when i started it up on return the gas would not ignite on start up..Plumber came and traced it to air pressure switch..purchased one myself and he asked when it arrived to contact him to replace....great i thought...until yesterday teatime wife doing dishes , washer on then "clunk" from the washing machine (the noise it makes when it stops the incoming water during cycle)...only now we have no mains water in the house at all......both our neighbours are unaffected...and the boiler still shows it pressurised at just over 1 bar .There is no outside visible burst water pipe so my question is ...could it be the internal stop cock that has failed ? or could these problems be connected and i am just very unlucky ???

Sponsored Links
Air in a pipe cannot block mains water pressure!

Sponsored Links
The plumber came around , he checked the mains outside had not been tampered with..it had not...He then moved inside and loosened a nut to the left of the incoming pipe next to the stop cock , the water only trickled.He turned the stop cock off and on and the water spluttered back on, Sorry but initially he did say the stopcock was off . We did have a small leak yesterday from my wife knocking the wast pipe which called for her to empty everything out to clean up, so she could have knocked it slightly, but i yesterday initially tried to turn the stop cock off and on but it was locked solid , i maybe turned it a fraction and that was after the water had stopped, i cannot believe my wife could have turned it off !.
Could it be possible it was only very slightly open and the slight knock closed it ?as now the water pressure is a lot more pressurised ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back