Noise from downstairs' neigbours - would new carpet help me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my downstairs neighbour have installed a wooden floor. Although I am above I hear constant noise from it. I have a very old and thin carpet, which has no underlay - I was thinking of replacing this, since the neighbour is not co-operative.

Would this help? I am thinking it won't, since I think a lot of the noise is impact noise which is traveling through the structure and walls, rather than just through the air. But I am hoping it will.

Also, has anyone tried this product:

http://www.greenglue.co.uk/page9.html

I wondered if I could apply a layer of that to the floor, before I fitted a new carpet and underlay.

Any advice appreciated,

thanks,

gubar

Sponsored Links
as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It's simply a sealant for filling gaps. you'd be better fitting a layer of closed cell insulation onto the floor then topping that with plywood, some underlay then a carpet.

Or buy your neighbours some slippers :LOL:

Hi,

thanks for the direct reply re the green gel!

And thanks for the info on the cell insulation. I'll have a read into that as a potential solution.

In the meantime if anyone has any other thoughts feel free to chip in,

thanks,

Steven

Sponsored Links
A good quality, dense underlay will help but not fully resolve such an issue. A new carpet wont contribute hugely but it would be an improvement though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back