Noise from Modulating pump vs fixed speed pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a grundfos 3 speed pump on our heating system.
We have to set it to '2' as on its highest setting we get noise, higher pitched whinning, in the house, maybe from pipes.
If newer boilers have modulating pumps are we likely to get intermittent noise as pump runs on its maximum? Can modulating pumps be fixed on a chosen speed?
For reasons, we tend to turn our heating system on when required then turn off fully, we don't like it running continuously with heat coming in and out.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
We have to set it to '2' as on its highest setting we get noise, higher pitched whinning, in the house, maybe from pipes.
Have you tried turning it down to speed 1? It's best to run at the minimum speed which gives good system performance.

Have you tried turning it down to speed 1? It's best to run at the minimum speed which gives good system performance.
I run mine on speed 1 most of the time for heating and hot water. Apart from it being quieter, using less electricity and putting less wear on the pump, I believe that when it’s running slower there is more chance of heat getting out of the system before returning to the boiler allowing it more chance to condense. That’s my thinking anyway which could be totally wrong!

We did try on 1 but the radiators didn't heat up, 2 is our perfect setting. my question was more about how boilers that contain their own modulating pumps will operate, we don't have one yet, will they go up to a level 3 equivalent of our current pump and therefore get noisy?

Sponsored Links
my question was more about how boilers that contain their own modulating pumps will operate, we don't have one yet, will they go up to a level 3 equivalent of our current pump and therefore get noisy?
I don't know, sorry, that's why I replied to that sentence in your post.

We did try on 1 but the radiators didn't heat up, 2 is our perfect setting. my question was more about how boilers that contain their own modulating pumps will operate, we don't have one yet, will they go up to a level 3 equivalent of our current pump and therefore get noisy?
Can you post the make/exact model of your existing pump please, we can maybe make a suggestion to use a different mode/setting or whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back