Noisy Central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's
We've had this problem with our central heating for a while now. The property is only 2 years old and the central heating always makes a noise when it's on. It sounds like air bubbles moving around the pipes especially above the wall mounted gloworm boiler. I thought that i would have a look at it last weekend and i found that the heating tank in the loft was full of brown residue in the bottom and the ball float was punchured slightly (although it wasn't making the tank overflow). I decided to clean the system out by putting some fernox restorer in for a day and then drained the system down from a few radiators around the ground floor. I also back flushed the system with clean water by taking a radiator off and connecting a standard hose pipe fitting to one of the pipes, this took about 5 hours to completly get clean water to come out from various drain points around the house and even the dirty water made it back up to the tank in the loft. i refilled the system using fernox system proctector,bled all the radiators and now have a completly clean system but the noises are still there.I have also turned down the boiler as that was set on max and now it is just below half with no noticable lost of heating or hot water. Also when the system first fires up (ie the hallway thermostat kicks it in) the system makes a allfull noise like there's too much pipe pressure to start with and you can here all of what sound like air in the system being forced around the pump and then round the system. The only air i can get out of the system is a little from one radiator which seems to collect it the most and a little from the bleed screw in the airing cupboard (all when the system is off).Also when the boiler has finished heating the water and the central heating pump is just circulating the system,air bubbles can be heard coming from the pipes above the boiler or from the boiler itself. I don't know whether to call back the house builders own plumbers in to look at the system and find out if anything can be done as i'am pretty sure it shouldn't make noises like that. Sorry for the long question chaps but i thought it would be better to let you all know what's been done to date.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back