Noisy plumbing -possibly related to Megaflo - Added video

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts on a problem we have had for a month, and which we have spent several £100s on, with no success.

Despite visits from 3 plumbers/engineers, we cannot get rid of a loud screeching/groaning noise occuring in our plumbing, which seems to emanate from, or near, or Megaflo unvented indirect cylinder. We have almost run out of ideas!

Here is a video (filmed at 2am, so forgive the shakiness).
http://youtu.be/YEAJaz8o1dg

When the noise is loud, the pressure gauge wobbles slightly. But it never exceeds 1.4 bar, even when noise is at loudest.

The pressure relief and pressure reducing valves have been changed, and a shock arrester installed. All to no success. A heatrae sadia engineer said it wasn't the tank (though it really sounds like the noise comes from the megaflo, especially when you put your ear to it). He suggested we have the two zone valves looked at.

Before I spend yet more money- has anyone any ideas?

Many many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the noise is coming from the bypass (the valve with the grey top) does the noise start after the heating or hot water has stopped ?

Thanks for your reply!

It occurs fairly randomly, mostly between 12 and 2am, but it can happen at any time. I don't think it's ever started when the boiler is actually running for heating or hot water- though the sound doesn't instantly go away if the boiler is switched on.

Last night, it started about 4 hours after heating and hot water went off.

Sponsored Links
I think the noise is coming from the bypass (the valve with the grey top) does the noise start after the heating or hot water has stopped ?

I don't have a valve with a grey top- hopefully you can see my photos now. An you tell which of the valves pictured is the bypass valve?

Both of the black valves (a 3 bar and an 8 bar valve) were replaced after the noise started, as was the blue stopcock.

At 1 min on your second video you can see a grey knob at the bottom of the picture, this is your bypass valve, the noise is either the pump or the bypass valve being forced open on pump over run, or at least I think that is what it is.

At 1 min on your second video you can see a grey knob at the bottom of the picture, this is your bypass valve, the noise is either the pump or the bypass valve being forced open on pump over run, or at least I think that is what it is.

Sorry- I don't know how it happened, but the second video is not my set-up: that is someone else entirely! Really sorry. Will edit main post. First video is me though. And having watched 2nd video, I def don't have a pump, and I don't think I have a bypass valve (if that's possible).

Sorry to have wasted your time with that video.

Can you post up some pics or video of the pipework and valves around the cylinder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back