Noisy Water Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been at a job where the owner was complaining about noisy water pipes. On seeing an overflow overflowing, I checked the storage tanks and noticed that the F&E float valve needed changing - so I changed that.
Anyway, everything works fine all over the house except that there is still running water noise in the mains. There are no signs of leaks, no taps dripping, nothing overflowing (WC, F&E CWSC). When I turn off the main stopcock, the noise stops.

I can't see any reason why the mains is flowing - I'm tearing my hair out!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Graham

Sponsored Links
Ive had this before, turned out to be the lead mains pipe tee'd off under floor for an outside toilet and someone took toilet out and bent over the end of the lead and just hammered it flat, tucked the pipe back under floorboards and eventually it started leaking. Might be totally different but worth a punt.

it stops when stopcock in kitchen is turned off. appears to be between there and bathroom / tanks etc. above ground.

Sponsored Links
Is there any mixer valves ? (taps, showers etc) Cold main could be pushing hot water back (overflow would start again though) You may have to isolate individually

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back