Non-metric screw size

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel from china...
RUST ALERT!!!
How long for the rust to appear? My direct from china SS roller door catch still looks brand new after a couple months of installation. It is exposed to the exterior because of a big gap in the front door I have yet to fix.

But he said the screws say "top quality" on the box. :eek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Here, first words are "Top quality". I am guessing you find what I say funny because you don't buy top quality screws much.

Sponsored Links
How long for the rust to appear? My direct from china SS roller door catch still looks brand new after a couple months of installation. It is exposed to the exterior because of a big gap in the front door I have yet to fix.
Don't know, but having more time to waste on trivial things I made a little experiment a few years ago.
Took different brand screws and left them outside for roughly 12 months.
Results:
Turbo Silver/Gold by screwfix (no rust at all,not even superficial)
Reisser (no rust at all)
Wickes galvanised (surprisingly some were very corroded, others just superficially rusted)
Toolstation galvanised (superficial rust, especially on heads)
Ultra screws stainless steel from screwfix (like new)
Stainless steel screws from Toolstation (even better than the Ultra because they have a polished finish)
Random stainless steel self tapping screws from ebay (rusted all over superficially and some corroded at the thread)

I had bought these last one to replace some on a metal shed.
I replaced them again.

Just for the giggles ;)

A 100 pack of Turbodrive 4 x 40mm screws.
Random sample of 20 screws.
Measured with an uncalibrated digital caliper.
Man, I bet you are the life and soul of the kitchen at parties! :oops: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I am pretty sure all the screws I have are stated as "top quality" on the box or in the product listing.
I have in front of me four screw boxes from Reisser, Spax, ForgeFast and Tite-Fix, yet none of these say "top quality". Have I been sold a pup (or rather four pups?). The Reisser and Spax both state "high peformance", the ForgeFast states "elite performance" and "low torque", whilst the Exterior-Tite states "allows easier insertion and less battery wear". TBH those are all truthful descriptions, but not one claims to be "top quality", which is surely a meaningless description, but beloved of certain Far East manufacturers? BTW the Spax and Reisser screws stand up a lot better to be driven and removed multiple times than any other screws I've ever used and I'm yet to have one snap off on me

Are you gonna use some sealant?

Are you gonna use some sealant?
There's time and place for everything. For door gaps, stick on seals are fine. I have got a good supply of those from china. These are more sticky than the local ones I had. China uses american tech.

Despite all the scary stories, I have faith in ebay/china SS. I have some ebay marine grade SS nuts and bolts holding up a fence post for a few years, no problems.

Random stainless steel self tapping screws from ebay (rusted all over superficially and some corroded at the thread
Superficial rust is good performance. The rust on the thread was probably contamination from the shed metal.

I'm yet to have one snap off on me
Since I am not into mindless torqueing, no ordinary screws would snap. I had house builder screws snapping from their over torqueing.

Mean = 3.888mm
Standard deviation = 0.0365
With a 99.9% confidence level, the srew shaft diameter will be between 3.8501mm and 3.9259mm
A tolerance of around ±1%
(4-3.8501) / 4 = 3.75%.
Not quite, although yes, I should have been more specific.
saying that these screws have a manufacturing variance of ±1%, may have been more appropriate.

There will always be manufacturing tolerances when creating screws.
As a 4mm thread diameter is the absolute maximum allowable width, for a 4mm screw - accounting for this tolerance will mean the thread diameter (in this case) will be at least 1% smaller, plus a safety margin.

Standards for wood screws are a bit difficult to find :) - But, just for example, here are some standards under DIN 7998:
Screenshot_20230102-192931_Chrome.jpg

With an allowable thread diameter of 3.75 to 4mm for a 4mm screw.

....so, I am guessing my screws have a manufacturing tolerance of ±1% with a design offset of 0.112mm (or 2.8%,
....or 1.8% safety margin with 1% manufacturing variance).

Since I am not into mindless torqueing, no ordinary screws would snap. I had house builder screws snapping from their over torqueing.
What utter nonesense! You select the screws which are appropriate to the task. If your builders snapped screws it is just as likely to be that you chose some cheapskate bunch who didn't know the difference between a 4in screw and a ring nail, or maybe they were just using your cheap and nasty "ordinary" Chinese screws? Any competent tradesman knows the difference between screw qualities and like it or not, at the speeds tradesmen need to work, tools like impact drivers and appropriate quality screws are a must for some tasks

And just what do you mean by "ordinary screws"? There is no such thing. I've had cheap stainless and brass screws (the type supplied with some ironmongery) snap when being hand screwed into pilot holes in hardwood before now. That is much more down to poor quality screw materials than me having muscles like Garth (for anyone not old enough look up the cartoon chatacter)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Construction Information Service (a UK service for architects, specifiers and builders) suggest that BS 1210 (1963), ‘Specification for Wood Screws’ is ‘obsolescent but still relevant’ when specifying screws. This standard specifies that construction screws have a minimum tensile strength of 550N/mm² and apparently British manufacturers work to this or a higher standard, such as the newer BS 1580 (2007). German manufacturers work to similar standards.

Apparently, if the standard is met it should be more than possible to drive a 5.0 x 100mm (#10 x 4in) wood screw into dry C16 timber using a 150Nm impact driver providing the tool and tooling are in good order and the screw is being driven perpendicular to the wood. So if you are snapping screws, throw away the cheap carp and get better screws... because cheap screws won't drive without some failures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back