Obtaining Old Memory Modules - Desperately need advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to build a pc for a disabled friend who lives with her elderly mother and they have very little cash to spend.

I have managed to put a pretty basic machine together but it needs more memory to really be of use.

I am trying to obtain, at a reasonable cost, a couple of secondhand 128 MB memory modules.

The information as to the module required is as follows:-

Memory Module Properties
Module Name Micron Tech. 16LSDT1664AG-10EC7
Serial Number 896073732
Module Size 128 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Speed PC100 (100 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage LVTTL
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 3.0 (8.0 ns @ 125 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Supported
Precharge All Supported
Write1/Read Burst Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Not Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Micron Technology, Inc.
Product Information http://www.micron.com/products/category.jsp?path=/DRAM

I have tried contacting Micron but they were unable to help.

They suggested another supplier, based in the USA, but they have told me they are currently out of stock and would have to obtain them on a special order. The estimated cost together with the shipping charges rules out this particular source.

Can anyone please suggest where I may be able to obtain these particular modules, or alternatives that will definitely work.

Sponsored Links
The Processor is a Pentium III - 500 MHz
Package: Slot 1 SECC2
Family 6; Model 7; Stepping 3
Instructions: MMX.SSE

Clocks:-

Core Speed: 497.8 MHz
Multiplier: x5.0
FSB: 99.6 MHz
Bus Speed: 99.6 MHz

Cache:-

L1 Data 16 KBytes
L1 Code 16 KBytes
Level 2 512 KBytes

I have found out some more info on the memory modules that can be used:-

• 3.3 V, 168-pin unbuffered SDRAM
• 16 MB and 32 MB (16 bit technology)
• 64 MB and 128 MB (64 bit technology)
• Single- or double-sided configurations
• 384 MB maximum system memory

Also more info on the one currently installed:-

Timings:-

Frequency: 99.6 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1.1
CAS#Laency 2.0 clocks
RAS#to CAS#Delay 2 clocks
RAS#Precharge 2 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks

SPD Timings Table:-

Frequency 100 MHz 125 MHz

CAS#Latency 2.0 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 2 3
RAS# Recharge 2 3
TRAS# 5 7

I am not too sure as to how much of this is relevant but I would rather give you too much info than not enough.

I have now found the following:-

This system board requires 4-clock DIMMs with a clock latency of 2 (CL2), otherwise known as CL24-clock DIMMs.

Sponsored Links
Ah, its that old. I wouldnt think adding any RAM will help the comp speed much if any. Save your money and leave it as is.

I have a new Gigabyte GA-7VM400M - K7 Triton motherboard which I can install.

However, I will need a new CPU; Memory modules etc.

Can you please give me some advice as the best places to obtain secondhand hardware such as this.

I know there is the Ebay option but I know a few people who have had some bad experiences buying hardware through this facility.

Many thanks for your advice.

Ok, well the mboard is ok but is still dated, socket A processors are no longer being manufacturered thus second hand decent skt A processors are becoming rare.

I would aim to put in something like a 1.4mhz duron or athlon processor, new 400w psu and about 512mb DDR266 ram in that motherboard. Assuming that the new mboard fits into your old computer case. You may also need an agp graphics card.

What does your friend need the computer for? Games/Spreedsheets/Internet??

Barbusa said:
I have a new Gigabyte GA-7VM400M - K7 Triton motherboard which I can install.

However, I will need a new CPU; Memory modules etc.

Can you please give me some advice as the best places to obtain secondhand hardware such as this.

I know there is the Ebay option but I know a few people who have had some bad experiences buying hardware through this facility.

Many thanks for your advice.

Try a local shop, the sort you get up the high street that fix pc's. Not a chain like pc world. They usually accumulate bits of old hardware that they are keen to get rid of. They may try to overcharge you but if you remember that its redundant kit and negotiate you should be able to get something realistic. Shop around, try Thomsons Local. I have built several machines cheaply this way

Thanks for that.

It is mainly for her to use the internet.

To explain, she very rarely gets out because her mum is frightened of being left alone in the house.

Her great hobby is horses and horse racing and before her illness used to work for the Jockey Club.

She very rarely has a bet but she really enjoys studying all the form and follows the careers of horses right fom when they race for the first time.

When she is able, she loves to go to the local library and use their pcs to access the internet and I know that she would love to do this from home.

Besides her Mum, the only other living relative she has is her brother who lives near Chicago.

Phone calls are obviously very expensive so she keeps in touch through email during her library visits.

I know there is software that enables you to actually talk to people via the net and if this was possible to set up it would mean an awful lot to her and her mum.

I am not sure but I don't think that she is into games but to have a facility which she could use to do some basic word processing may give her the chance of earning a little extra money.

She could definitely access the internet on that spec and do some word processing, particularily with an older version of Word or Works. Forget any modern games.

Not sure what operating sytem to use. I don't know if it could carry win xp, I think it might, try microsfts web site and see what the system spec is. It would definitely run win 98 or Win ME but ME was always a bit unstable. Probably the best compromise would be windows 2000 pro if you can get a copy. It's old but is very stable and I Have definitely run it on a lower spec machine than you have succesfully. Win xp is basically a jazzed up version of it anyway

What hard drive have you got

I threw a Duron 1.4 and fan away recently because I just couldn't find a use for it and no one else wanted it...........s**s law :(

I've got genuine OEM CDs for both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro.

Do you advise me to try Windows 2000 first and if I experience problems wipe it and try Windows 98?

The one thing I have got is plenty of good hard drives although I am sure that, at 10GB and 20GB, they are now very small by today's standard.

I was thinking of installing a main drive and a second 'removable' one, through a removable rack that I've got which she can keep any digital pictures, scans and documents on, giving these files protection in case of a catastrophe.

It's a shame you didn't post just before Xmas, as I had a load of old bits and bobs, but I always have a clear at year end and have taken most of it to the tip. I do have some odds and sods, so if you email me (not allowed to advertise on here), I might be able to help (Address is in my profile)

EDIT : Lol, that word is s o d s. Dumb profanity filter.

Barbusa said:
I've got genuine OEM CDs for both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro.

Do you advise me to try Windows 2000 first and if I experience problems wipe it and try Windows 98?

The one thing I have got is plenty of good hard drives although I am sure that, at 10GB and 20GB, they are now very small by today's standard.

I was thinking of installing a main drive and a second 'removable' one, through a removable rack that I've got which she can keep any digital pictures, scans and documents on, giving these files protection in case of a catastrophe.

i would try the 2000 pro. It should run it ok, subject to enough hard drive space and video card being ok

How big is hard drive

What video card are you using

likewise with Igorian I have just binned a load of old kit. Absolutely annoying, I hate throwing it away but just can't find a use for it

Sponsored Links
Back