Odd wiring in consumer box

1 x 32A - for cooker - RCD protected
Cookers can cause nuisance trips - you might prefer this to be non-RCD. Also, have you checked the cable size? Is it OK for 32A?

1x 32A - sockets
These should be RCD protected

1 x 32A - garage - RCD protected
Sounds like this is a new circuit - what size cable? Radial or ring?

1 x 32A - Spare (for shower future) - RCD protected
32A is nowhere near enough for a decent shower.

This should be plenty for what i need, any thing I missed?
Still seems to me like you've chosen a CU and are thinking "Now, what can I put on this MCB?". It's AAF.

If I plug the fridge into the 32A socket ring, can I get an rcd switch to plug into? saves routing a seperate cable just for one appliance!
I think you've missed the point - Fridges and Freezers should NOT be on RCD circuits, or if you must have them on such, use an RCBO on the non-RCD side of the board. You do not want to be losing power to the F/F.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, Yes I miss read some of the other points about the F/F!

Shower taken into consideration, thanks

Cable for Garge will be a new cable 10mm to be safe and it will be going to a smaller CU

I have not choosen an CU yet, just running all questions to be sure.

I guess there is a link for this but what exactly does the RCD do as opposed to a MCB

Thanks for your time.

deefadog said:
Cable for Garge will be a new cable 10mm to be safe and it will be going to a smaller CU
Then you don't want it on the RCD side of your house CU - put it on the non-RCD side and have RCD protection in the garage CU.

I guess there is a link for this but what exactly does the RCD do as opposed to a MCB
There's a link for everything.

http://www.westernautomation.com/pages/demystify.htm
http://www.simonstutorials.com/downloads/rcdpresentation.pdf
http://www.memonline.com/guide06.html

Thanks mate, good stuff there. But I am still confused to the actual difference between an MCB and a RCD, they both seem to trip if there is a fault.

Could you please (very briefly) explain the difference and why one should be used over the other in different applications.

Thanks (sorry to be a pain)

Sponsored Links
An MCB provides protection against overload, either simply drawing too much current, or a short circuit.

However, there is another type of fault that an MCB will not protect against. If a person touches something live, e.g. a damaged cable or a faulty appliance and completes a circuit to earth, then the amount of current that will flow through them is more than enough to kill, but nowhere near enough to trip even the smallest MCB to cut off the supply.

An RCD monitors the currents flowing in the live and neutral conductors, so if somewhere in the circuit some current is leaking to earth, e.g. through a person, it will detect that there is a difference between the current flowing out on one conductor and back on the other, and it will trip.

The idea is that the level, and speed, with which it trips are such that injury is prevented. The normal RCD rating, as found in CUs and individual RCD sockets is 30mA, and an RCD is supposed to trip at that level of imbalance in 300ms, although typically the time is around 100ms.

In a CU, the RCD will protect a number of circuits - either some or all depending on whether the board is a split-load or not.

You can get devices which combine the functions of both an RCD and an MCB, i.e. provide overload and fault protection to a single circuit - they are used in place of an MCB, and are called RCBOs (Residual Current Breaker with Overload).

Sockets which can reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors should have RCD protection - that's generally interpreted to mean those on the ground floor, and, obviously, any actually outside, or in garages, sheds etc. However, it is also generally accepted that it's a useful safety measure to have all sockets with RCD protection.

The reason for not having everything on an RCD is that there are some circuits where the risk of contact is very low (e.g. lighting) and the inconvenience of losing the circuit due to an earth fault somewhere else is high (e.g. lighting) or dangerous (e.g. fire & smoke alarms).

In an ideal world your CU wouldn't have an RCD in it - you'd use RCBOs for each individual circuit that you wanted protected, but that gets expensive...

The last 2 statements notwithstanding, if you happen to have what's called a TT supply, i.e. one where you have your own earth rod, not an earth supplied by the electricity company, you do have to have your whole installation protected by an RCD with a 100mA rating, and often a time-delay built in, as well as all of your sockets having the normal 30mA protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back