offset bottom feed float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a strange request for help.

working on an old toilet, with very limited access to pipework (pub toilet) all that needs replacing is the float valve.

trouble is, standard plastic and brass offset float valves that 4 plumbers merchants stock, are all too short at the thread at the bottom.

the thread from the piece/lip that fits at the bottom of the tank measures 48cm, the common ones available are all 40cm

ive tried using a tap fitting extension piece, this makes it half an inch too long and will not seal no matter what i try, ive asked if the merchants can order a longer threaded one for me, they all look at me as if im talking chinese!

cutting and extending the pipework would be very difficult, as access to it is extremely limited, and i only have an elbow with a tap connector fitted sticking out of a tiled wall.

easy job, just pop in a new float valve and the leaking overflow problem is fixed... but can i find one anywhere? no

any help would be most welcome, thankyou for your time.

Deano....

Sponsored Links
Flexi connector???? Or why not use the tap extension and cut 15mm off the 40mm to make it fit.

48cm! Doesn't it hit the floor? ;)

Just measured one I took out when I gutted our bathroom last month (kept as spare for downstairs loo) - 48mm. Was last replaced about 10 years ago and would have come from Wickes or B&Q. Have you tried the sheds or just plumbers merchants?

Sponsored Links
hehe sorry 48mm is the length of the thread. just tried all the plumbers merchants so far.

tap extension is a solid brass threaded fitted piece, about an inch long in thread/half an inch for the nut head that screws outwards.

im not too clever at rebuilding the valve itself, it bothers me that its from 1973, so i dont want to risk more c#return visits.

glad to see there are 48mm ones out there, was beginning to think my head was a mess.

ill check the site you gave me and have a look at b and q/wickes etc tomorrow, appreciate the help, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back