Old Sky satellite in the tv amplifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was wondering if we can use an old sky satellite in the lab gear tv distribution box in the loft to feed the tv's in 4 different rooms? I currently have an ariel cable in the old labgear amplifier box which feeds all the rooms. It's just that the satellite gets more channels as compared to the ariel

Thanks,
LK

Sponsored Links
Need more info:

$ky box model? (Does it have RF in and RF1 / RF2 out)?
Labgear loft box model?

Do you have two cables from the loft to the $ky box location (one may be in current use for UHF TV)? So that aerial can feed down to $ky box RFin and then RF2 out go back up to feed other rooms.

Do you want to remote control the $ky box from those other room(s)?

I do not have a $ky box. It's a 10 year old labgear with 8 outputs. I have 2 spare cables from redundant sky satellite which I can take it into the loft if need be. I just want to use the satellite to receive freesat channels

I do not have a $ky box. It's a 10 year old labgear with 8 outputs. I have 2 spare cables from redundant sky satellite which I can take it into the loft if need be. I just want to use the satellite to receive freesat channels
The two cables from the dish LNB can't be distributed usefully by most loft boxes.
Without model number... one can't check the spec/abilities of it.

BUT Satellite cable signal can't be simply split like UHF aerial cables can. Each receiver-tuner needs a good DC connection for powering the LNB and the ability to choose one of the 4 modes the LNB uses to cover the satellite frequency range.
Sat distribution systems use what are termed 'multi swtiches' that can distribute both satellite and terrestrial; but almost invariably need four feeds from the dish LNB.

Take one of the two cables to a sat receiver (or TV with sat input) and the other to a second receiver/TV. Note that TV sat tuners are not always 'freesat' and may not be especially user friendly with channel numbering and auto-updates. Some do support freesat, though.

Extra sat receivers/TVs will need a connection to the LNB (if there are any spare).
Quads (4) are commonly fitted. Octo (8) are available and can easily replace an existing LNB.

Note that satellite PVRs need two independent feeds from a dish LNB.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, I had coax to loft from Sky and DVD player into amp and to each bedroom, and with 14 inch TV's it worked well, but as we went to 28 inch, quality was not good enough, so went to 4 output LNB and satellite box in each bedroom.

Today we use SkyQ

Must be long cables. The satellite is 23000 miles above the equator.

To receive Freesat you need a Freesat box or a TV with built in Freesat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back