one cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could somebody help me with this problem my bedroom is freezing but when i put the heating on all the radiators work apart from the one in my room ive tried to bleed it but its still stone cold the pipe with the control on is slightly warm but thats about it i let all the air come out of the radiator untill water came out but still the radiator wont heat up and i have a 12 month old baby staying in the same room as me so realy need to heat the radiator up please could someone help thanks .

Sponsored Links
1) does this radiator have a Thermostatic valve on it? it might have jammed shut. Take the head off it and see if the pin pops up on its spring. Verify that the valves at each end are not excessively screwed shut.

2) turn off all the other radiators and see if this one then heats up.

If it does, you have a problem with the flow. Balance the other radiators so that this one heats up by about the same amount. See no. 2
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37170

If not, did it ever work properly? did something happen before it went wrong, or did it gradually get worse over several years?

You did not tell us what happened when you tried to bleed it. Did air come out? Or water? Did it squirt out forcefully? what colour is the water when you bleed this and other radiators? Is this radiator the highest in the house, or in an extension, or was it added after the others?

Quite likely you have a sediment blockage. It is possible to do a chemical clean as DIY plumbing, and I would always suggest you start with this (at a cost of £15 plus a few hours DIY) rather than splashing out £hundreds on paying for a powerflush.

3) read //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6026 and tell us more about your system

read the first entry on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Firstly thanks for the reply.

the radiator is the highest in the house and when i blead the radiator water came out but also air was still coming out the water was pritty clear also when the water came out it dribbled out when i turned the key slightly but sqirted out when i turned the key about half way around and the radiator was in the house when we moved in about 2 yrs ago

And did it ever work properly?

If it is the highest radiator in the house it will be the first to fail if there is insufficient water.

But if it squirts out this is less likely the problem.

If you have a Feed and Expansion tank in the loft, see if it has water in it, and check that it starts to fill if you press the ball float (same as in a WC cistern) and look to see if there is mud at the bottom of this tank (sediment) and if it is brown or black mud. Don't stir it up as you don't want it to flow down into the radiators and cause a blockage.

Sponsored Links
If it used to work properly, and now doesn't, then it is less likely to be poor pipework design, and more likely to be an accumulation of sediment causing a partial blockage, or a jammed thermostatic radiator valve, or possibly the radiator balancing has been put out of adjustment, e.g. if a radiator was taken off for decorating or someone has been turning the valves.

If it is a modern Combi, and was installed as part of a new. clean system (not put on dirty old radiators) and has not needed to be topped up due to leaks, it should not have much sediment or corrosion. It will not have a feed and Expansion tank in the loft.

Start by trying the things I mentioned in my first post and reply saying what you found when you tried them.

Has any decoration been done in the room recently?

I moved into my house last month, and thought the bathroom radiator had a blockage. After various troubleshooting steps, I eventually discovered that when the previous owners had refitted the bathroom a year ago, while they put the radiator back on the wall and opened one of the valves, they never opened the lockshield one, so no water actually flowed through it!

Quick turn of the spanner and bingo it worked a charm...

Not to sure if any decorating had been done before we moved in but ill have a look at this option to usualy ends up being the simple solutions when a problem arises so thanks alot for the suggestions been a big help CHEERS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back