Organic control of scale insect on large Euonymus?

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a house in 2005, along with a badly scale infected variegated Euonymus (probably japonicus aureomarginatus). As I'm trying to be organic as possible, I've been using the organic scale spray from the garden centres, the fatty acid products. Trouble is, the bush is 8 feet tall and I use a bottle in two treatments! There appear to be two types of scale, one tiny, soft and white, the other a bit larger with a hard dark shell. The dark one has attacked the limbs as much as the leaves.

My questions:

Is there a better/cheaper organic control method?

What month is the best for treatment ? (RHS website says it should be done during the egg hatching period)

Will the dead scale ever fall off? (they are very unsightly organisms!)

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the link, a helpful site re scale.

Am I to presume that the fatty acids are the best organic treatment? If this is the case, fine, I'll search out a cheap source. Anyone know when would be the best to attack this beastie?

Or should I just chop out this fine specimen and start again?

Sponsored Links
hmmm very interesting website! Seems that there is no perfect solution to this. Late May-early June looks to be the best time to spray for the crawler stage, as well as Late July-early August.

I'll also do a bit of manual scraping.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back