Overpainted Stained Wood Now Chipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I painted over some interior stained wood. I sanded it down, used a water based undercoat and Dulux quick drying water based satinwood. Since, then I’m continually touching up the woodwork as it chips and flakes, resulting in the stained wood below showing. I’m thinking now I should have used a oil based undercoat and satinwood. Can I simply re undercoat the wood with say Zinseer Bin and then top coat with and oil based satinwood, or do I need to remove the existing paint.

Also I used the water based satinwood over oil based gloss in other areas. This is also prone to flaking, though not so noticeable as its still white paint underneath. Can I simply go over this with the oil based satinwood?

Sponsored Links
All previously stained or varnished wood is prone to chipping when painted with other finshes, particularly water based paints. It just doesnt adhere to the surface properly. A very good sanding is required at the start to have any chance of it staying ok.

Then a good primer like zinsser bin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back