Paint for internal walls which will always be 'slightly damp' in places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Long story short our house has inherent damp issues, and we have been advised to pretty much live with them due to their relatively low severity.

We have removed the salt affected sand/cement and gypsum plaster which was on the bottom parts of the walls, and will have new sand/cement and gypsum plaster in these areas. (Houses nearby have tried to use stain block products and primers on these salting areas without success over the years).

All other non-damp areas are covered in the existing gypsum plaster either painted in Dulux diamond matt, or other washable vinyl emulsions or vintage mid sheen paints - all sound.

Can anyone recommend any paints that we can apply to the entire wall surfaces that will give the breath-ability we require low down (to stop bubbling/flaking of paint), while ensuring we have a family friendly wall surface?

If none exist, do you think we would be silly to consider putting a breathable paint over the affected damp areas, and then using a matching colour of washable paint over the rest of the wall? I know the look of the paints will look slightly different, but I wonder whether it may be a practical option for high traffic areas and our kitchen?

Thanks very much for your help!

Sponsored Links
I saw stuff at homebase the other day specifically for sealing damp before painting. Think it was actually called "damp" by Johnstone's. Not sure if this is what you mentioned houses nearby have tried.

I'm always one to attack the cause rather than hide the effects, if you can install some dryrods where the rising damp is coming from I highly recommend them! They are super easy to do.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, the DryZone rods are very easy to use, more expensive than drill and inject though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back