Painting an MDF unit gloss black - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a unit and clad it in MDF and the finish I need is glossy black. I initially bought a water based undercoat but then I did some more research and was advised to buy an MDF primer instead so the MDF would not swell so I bought that, however they don't do it in grey which I understand would be a better undercoat for black paint?

I bought Crown Solo Gloss in Jet black however after reading some threads on here I am now thinking that this may not be the best idea due to consistency, actually needing 2 coats anyways etc

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend what I do about this, which paint I should buy and if it is okay to paint black gloss onto white primer? I am going to be using a roller to apply the paint. Also any other tips which will help me get a high quality finish would much appreciated as I am an A level student making my final product and not too experienced with paints!

I haven't started painting anything on the unit yet however I need to have it sorted by the end of this week, or at least have one coat of gloss on it so I can photograph it.

Again, any help is much appreciated! :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have any spare mdf left to try and see what its like,water based undercoat won't affect the mdf it's not like you are going to leave it soaking.My daughter bought 2 bare mdf radiator cabinets i undercoated one with some mdf undercoat i had left, and the other one with some pva mixed three to one, then a couple of coats of gloss white and the one with the pva base turned out better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back