Painting MDF skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So I’ve routed an ogee profile for my own MDF skirting.
I’ve used 2 coats of Leyland acrylic undercoat and primer and then 2 coats of brilliant white quick dry water based gloss. I used a gloss roller for undercoat and gloss.
I lightly sanded the end/open edges after each coat, and it’s not too bad.
However, the faces look a little mottled. (See pics)
C067CF97-CE77-4859-AB56-F8BEF6C0E589.jpeg3AEE4F25-7364-42A1-8312-EBE368E3D319.jpegDF05636F-7A9A-4A47-98CA-D5FD33B28B19.jpeg

I previously painted a test piece but used a brush instead (which was against all advice I’d read). It looks better, and shinier, but I also (wrongly) lightly sanded the face which brought up the fibres so it was discarded.

Need advice on achieving the best finish.

Please do not suggest oil based gloss as it ain’t happening. I don’t have time to wait a day between coats.
I’m sure there is a way to achieve a nice smooth glossy finish with the products I’ve got, just need some help.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Water based paints do not give the deep gloss of oil, they do however stay whiter.
In my experience rollers always give a slight orange peel finish that's why some suggest laying off with a brush, easier said than done unless you are very skilled.
I find the best way to use waterbased gloss is to dampen the brush first, wipe the area to be painted down with a damp cloth to leave a fine layer of water then paint quickly treating a smallish section at a time , a length of skirting, door frame etc. Avoid hot days like this you want it cool to slow down drying as much as possible. Avoid too much over brushing. Oh and use a good synthetic brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back