Painting my stained ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My ceiling has quite a few small stains - splashed from plastering and rendering work done on my walls about a month back. The ceiling is smooth after some sanding. I did actually start painting round the edges with emulsion but stains were showing through so I stopped.

What is the best way to hide those stains before painting over with emulsion? I do not want to be applying a stain blocker that leaves a glossy finish as it'll be a nightmare to paint over with emulsion (I've had that experience before when I used Bulls Eye 1-2-3 water soluable primer).

I have heard that I could use some kind of undercoat first then use emulsion to do the trick? Basically I want to hide the stains and have a matt finish.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Just use a thinned down coat of oil based undercoat. This will allow the emulsion to cover it without being seen when its all dry.

Cheers. But how much should I thin the undercoat - perhaps 1 part water to 1 part undercoat?

Sponsored Links
thanks. Just to confirm, I can apply the thinned undercoat just over the stains - rather than covering the entire ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back