painting over hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right category as the problem I have is with the plaster but I want to know what's best preparation for painting - I've stripped the walls of paper and sugar soaped them intending to paint on the plastered wall. One of the walls is riddled with hairline cracks, another looks like it has been 'scored' with big crosses probably for the papering!

Is there anything I can fill the hairline cracks with or will the paint fill them? What about the big Xs? One person has suggested to me decorators caulk but another has said not to use it on walls just on joins.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Indeed there is a brilliant filler, I`ve just finished our living room and the walls were so bad that I thought we`d need a plasterer :cry: it`s called .............."Red Devil One Time lightweight ready mixed filler" made by HallsBeeline........and I spent 2 days filling with it :D it really does fill the tiniest marks without building up on the surface and leaving bumps that need sanding ;) www.hallsbeeline.net

The reason there is crisscrossed on the plaster, is because at sometime someone has scored the paper before stripping to allow the hot water to get behind the paper to make it easier to strip, but they have scored it too deep and left marks on the plaster underneath.

Just fill over crisscrosses, all you probably need is a slight skim over with the filler to fill the indents, sand it down when dry, run your hand over it, and if it still feels indented then fill again.

You could inverst in a 5ltr tin of polycell basecoat, this is for covering hairline cracks and small imperfections, its flexable so if the cracks open slightly or get bigger its meant to stretch with it.
Then you can apply the colour of your choice over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back