Part L confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having my small Victorian end terrace house re-roofed by a local contractor. I am aware that the work needs approval from the building control people and the contractor has informed them, paid the fee's, etc

Had a phone call from the contractor last week saying that in order to meet the Part L insulation standards, he would need to fit '50mm celutex between the rafters' at a [considerable] extra cost.

I don't know if the contractor and the building reg's guys have been talking at cross purposes, but I was under the impression that if I increased the ceiling insulation to 300mm it would meet the new requirements. Surely I don't need to upgrade the ceiling insulation and have this 'celutex' fitted as well? Wouldn't that reduce ventilation in the loft space?

The loft is a normal, uninhabited roof space with perhaps 100mm of insulation at the moment and not boarded.

I shall have to sort this out next week and would welcome your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
You're right, if there is no accommodation in the loft space then all of the insulation needs to be at ceiling level not at rafter level. Your builder is either a bit thick or trying it on. So the normal three layers of fibreglass roll stuff cross laid at ceiling level will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back