Parting with my hard-earned cash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdo.

Just had to scrap my car and need to get some wheels. I've got a budget of about £5k and want something that's going to last a few years.

I'm thinking about 1999/ 2000 A3s/ Golfs but someone told me to take a look at Saab 9-3s as they're pretty cheap at that age. Older A4s, BMW 3 Series or newer smaller cars also options.

Any recommendations on a reliable second-hand family-ish size car?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I think Audi really would be your best bet here, they will feel "newest" compared to your generic Vauxhalls, Fords etc. Some cars can feel decidedly wobbly when they are a few years old, although a lot of it depends on how they were driven and looked after.

Saying that, my Vauxhall Astra (2001, Mk4) still feels very together and is very quiet and smooth.

Look to see what the minicabbers run around your area: You'll probably see a lot of diesel Audis with 100s of Kmiles on the clock! :LOL:

A word of warning! A mate of mine had some serious problems with an A3 Diesel, went to two audi garages and he was told the flywheel needed changes (£1000 ish), and it's apparently a common fault.

In the end, after he paid about £500 to have it done at a local garage he still had the same problem, turned out to be a wire that had become trapped and intermittentally affecting the Engine management. Very nice car though, drive like new but a lot of money for what you get.

The new shape Mondeo has high depreciation which makes it a good choice for second hand with a view to keeping it for a long time.

would never buy a European car again, consider japanese.
perhaps a honda accord

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Subaru Forester.

Not all of them are turbo mega beasts!

I was a sceptic but after taking quite a few for test drives i'm a convert.

Loads of room for a family of 5. Even enough space in the back for 4 large dogs! You can service it yourself, its a doddle (You dont even need ramps to change the oil!) Costs me £25 to do an oil and filter change...

mike

Volvo 240. Cherished ones last longer than the Milky Way, and everyone avoids you on the road 'cos they think you're not concentrating 'cos there's a little mantlepiece on the dashboard from where you can serve yourself tea and ginger cake while driving along...

Back