Patio flooding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I live in a small semi detached house and with all the heavy rainfall we have been getting it has uncovered a problem with our back garden drainage.

The garden is very small - maybe 4m wide by 7m long. I have a small patio area which then slopes upwards away from the house. The grassy area is maybe 3m x 4m. In light rain, at the bottom of the slope water will pool up. But with heavy rainfall the whole patio area fills up with maybe 2 inches of water which takes days of dry weather to drain away. With the constant wet weather we've been getting the standing water has been unable to drain away. Thankfully it has not actually reached the house yet.

I tried digging a trench at the bottom of the grassy slope to see what happens, about 1ft deep by 8 inches wide, 3m long. It just fills up with water.

Our roof water gutters drain into a gully which is next door, there doesn't appear to be any drainage on our side at all.

Any idea how I can alleviate this problem please?

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Try searching for 'French Drain' online.

I installed one in my garden about 20 years ago which made a vast improvement. It has flooded again this winter due to the exceptional amount of rain, but it does drain after half a day or so, once it has actually stopped raining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back