Peculiar, how memory works

I bet judges get paid when they rise to consider their verdict. Tell the customer that's what you were doing... Except you sat down.

Sponsored Links
Memory is weird. I recently went to a pub that I had not been to in about 20 years. A friend moved to a new village in about 2002, and I remember checking out the local pub. Recently, my work moved location, and this is the nearest pub. I went there, and "remembered" the pub name. But, the pub was renamed 3 times since I first went there, and the new name is only about 5 years old. Totally bonkers.

I am also aware that I used to remember loads. I used to remember every that happened, and it frustrates me to know that, because now, I can't remember anything!

Weirder'n hell. Hypnotism (also weird) can make you recall the registration number of a car you don't even remember seeing.

You do a job, go home, start cooking and chatting and then the little man in the back of your head tells you you did some tiny aspect of the job wrong, when it hadn't crossed your mind all day. Like your brain is running a load of parallel process threads you aren't aware of, and it raises what in programming is called an 'Interrupt' when something's important.

Sponsored Links
I am also aware that I used to remember loads. I used to remember every that happened, and it frustrates me to know that, because now, I can't remember anything!

I have always been poor at remembering things, I have to make a special effort if I want to retain things, but note taking is my best way. I have a mechanical key code lock on my garage / workshop small door, if I don't think about it I can punch the codes in without a problem. Start trying to remember the numbers, then I get it wrong. If I don't go in for a while, I forget the sequence.

I can't remember vehicle reg numbers or phone numbers, it need some hard thinking to remember my own, but I do always get there. In the car I have an audio + video recording car cam, if I have to remember a reg number when driving, then I just read it out to be recorded on the cam.

At school I was never able to remember the times tables, I used to have to 'cheat', by a weird process of remembering a few, adding or subtracting for the rest.

When cooking a meal, I tend to work with a pad and pen, writing myself a sort of menu of what I have in mind to cook for a meal, rather than a recipe.

In the pre-satnav years, I used to stick a list of towns to aim for on the dash when driving any distance.

No, I am not getting worse as I get older.

Reactions: JP_
Back