PFC capacitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Garage lighting circuit of 17 fluorescent fittings (4x36W 4x30W & 9x56W) connected to two switches, one circuit is ‘star’ connected to a common junction box the other circuit is two ‘star’ connected circuits. The circuit is tripping a 6A MCB, after measuring with an ac clamp meter, I measured just over 7A, when the circuit should be well below 4A.

I am assuming that the PF is causing this and I therefore need to fit PFC to each fitting (easy to fit) Question is How do I connect the PFC capacitors to the fluorescent fittings? Is it in parallel with the incoming supply or in series with the starter? Also what values of capacitors should I use, I can get 2uf and 4uf PFC caps from Maplin for about 50p each.

Sponsored Links
I would spilt the circuit.

Flourescents usually have a PF correction capacitor in them anyway, some 'domestic only' types dont.

All fittings that use an inductor (choke) to start the fitting will run at a slight lagging PF, and correcting this is usually too much hastle - every fitting will be slightly different. A single capacitor accross the entire load may improve the situation, and lower your current, but to be honest it is a little slap-dash.

Split the circuit into 2 or 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back