PILOT LIGHT WILL NOT STAY ON - SERVOWARM GRAVITY FED BOILER

JV7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After about a year of no use, the sub zero temparatures have prompted me to get my central heating back in order (the electric fans are lightening my pockets daily!).

The Servowarm CH system in my house is pretty ancient - no idea on the model number etc. Brief description of it:
- Gravity fed system with expansion tank on 3rd floor of the house
- Master radiator on second floor concealing the boiler with access to pilot light beneath. Radiotor is on a hinge and opens out like a door giving access to the pump (grundfos)
- Only 2 further radiators on the ground floor (all of which have been bled)

Issue with the system:
- Pilot light will not stay lit. When holding the gas release button and igniting it works fine, I have tried holding this down for varying times however on release of the button the flame always goes out
- When I turn on the CH system there is a bit of noise from the boiler. Sounds to me like it could be water flowing but not really sensing much action with the pump - when I adjust the 3 phase settings on it, the pump lets of a similar dull groan (no loud noises) Not sure what to expect in terms of noise etc from the pump?

Have been advised it could be one of the following:
- Knackered Thermocouple. Any ideas how to check for this? If it is the thermocouple will a universal one fit my Servowarm
- Pump not pushing enough water to the boiler - if the pump seized would there still be some movement of water? Would this effect the pilot light from staying lit?
- Air block - not sure how to check for this. No signs of any issues when I bled the rads. Couldn’t imagine that this would prevent the Pilot from igniting.

Anyone familiar with this sort of system? Any feedback other than sacking off my current system and buying a new one is welcome? And yes, I have called round a corgi plumber - would like to have as good an understanding as possible before his visit; especially as I have been advised most stay clear of servowarm systems.

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
sorry but noone wants to know about servowarm :cry: . time to splashout on some proper heating.

Pilot problem is probably thermocouple or gas valve. Pump is probably jammed after no use for a year. It may free off with a screwdriver through the silver screw but have an old towel in place to catch the water.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that. I had a couple of engineers (if you could use that word) turn up to my house on their horses last night. They changed the thermocouple, bled some water and had gave the gas valve and boiler a good old bashing with a spanner! They had no joy getting the pilot lit.

Fortunately, after a heated argument ending in them leaving unpaid i inspected their work only to find the thermocouple had not been tightened to the gas valve. Lit the pilot and voila, let there be light.

Got the system up and running... Had a bit of a set back wherein there was a bit of a thud from the burner and it went out. Managed to get it lit again with a bit of tinkering and let it run for an hour or so. Realised that i have a few air pockets... will bleeding solve this problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back