Pipe hammer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Flushing my loo results in a loud vibration from the pipework which I'm led to believe is called pipe hammer. Its particularly bad first thing in the morning so I suspect its something to do with the pressure. Is there any way of curing this, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it's clanking then it's water hammer, in which case fit a shock arrestor.

If it's a droning/moaning sound then it's a sticking/worn washer and/or worn seat in the fill valve, in which case replace the washer and seat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, think I've cured it. Took the fill valve to pieces and removed the plastic restrictor inside and replaced it with a wider one that was attached to the ball cock arm. Seems to have done the trick.

You've replaced the seat intended for high pressure use with one intended for low pressure use.
This isn't the right thing to do.

It might have cured it simply because the old HP seat was worn. I recommend that you get a new HP seat and install that along with a new washer.

You must now have the fastest filling cistern in the street now!

As my learned friend softus says replace with the high pressure fellow.

Cause if by chance your Vv sealing washer/ diaphram goes (and have seen it) your overflow will probablly not cope with water volume, and end up with a sodden floor at best.

Thanks again for the replies. I can't really see that it's a worn washer or seat in the fill valve, I only replaced the whole ball cock assembly last year (the hammering has only started recently) There is an isolating valve in the copper pipe supplying the toilet, would it not suffice to turn this down to reduce the water supply. Oh and yes, the toilet does fill quickly!

ronnyb said:
I can't really see that it's a worn washer or seat in the fill valve
Well, you're the expert.

I only replaced the whole ball cock assembly last year
Last week I replaced a washer that had become faulty in three months.

There is an isolating valve in the copper pipe supplying the toilet, would it not suffice to turn this down to reduce the water supply.
As a fix? No. As a bodge? Maybe; maybe not. It doesn't make any difference, though - you're not going to follow my advice. :rolleyes:

Sorry Softus, wasn't trying to be clever but haven't had much experience with these things, I'll try a new washer etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back