Pipe Size help Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to use a Stuart Turner Monsoon S2 twin to supply a Crosswater WLPB1500RC thermostatic mixer diverter to supply a shower and bath. I know that I have to run 22mm pipes to the pump but do I need to run 22 up to the mixer and do I have to run 22 from the mixer to the shower head and bath tap, or is this to be done in 15?
Cheers,
Stu.

Sponsored Links
It depends how long the pipes are, and what flow you're looking for. Ie where on the pump curve you want to be using it.
You have to weigh up how much the pipe resistance is going to matter.

For the bath, 22mm pipe would be better than 15mm, your bath would fill a bit quicker, but it's usually less difference than you might think.

For the shower,
If you're feeding a 12" diameter head with big holes and little resistance, then you need to keep the pipe resistance particularly low.

With a more restrictive ( smaller holes, needle jets) head, then the pipe's resistance will be a small fraction of the head's so it matters much less.

And if all the flow's going to be sharing a 1.5metre shower hose, then that'll be more resistance than quite a lot of the (separate) supply pipe(s) even if they're only 15m. So eg for a couple of metres it wouldn't make much difference what size they were, for a middling head.

Bigger pipes mean more "dead" water, so more cold before the hot arrives, otherwise no detriments.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I have attached a photo of the head that I am going to use. The tap is more of a spout really it has a flexi hose with it that only looks like 15mm but it will be about 2m of pipe from the diverter to the spout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back