PIR underfloor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to squeeze under suspended timber floors tomorrow to insulate with PIR boards (celotex). What I am not sure about is whether I should insulate between the joists or under them.

I know kingspan instruction state between joists but there is plenty of advice which states that its better to insulate underneath the joists to avoid condensation on the bottom of the joists e.g.

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-009-new-light-in-crawlspaces/#Photo_05

Any thoughts on which is the right advice?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Any particular reason thats the better way to go?

There is nowhere for condensation to form with this method .............

provided the underfloor void is ventilated! Which it should be whether you have insulation or not. ;)

Sponsored Links
Well after all that, the crawlspace is a lot smaller from inside than when looking in from outside. I can crawl in but after dragging myself 4 meters into it, I just need to get out again. I've insulated the easy half today but not sure how I'll ever do the other half without some strong tranquilisers :eek:).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back