plaster disaster - installing bath screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I was just putting some finishing touches to my newly decorated bathroom and installing bath screen on tiled wall. The bath screen is supposed to be fixed using 3 screws (6mm hole) to the wall.
I think I overtightened one of the screws and couple of tiles came off the wall along with underlying plaster so I ended up with a brick wall underneath.

The missing plaster looks around 10-15mm thick so the hole is around 100x100x15mm.

Under the impulse (anger) I PVA'ed it (1:3), waited couple of hours until dry and filled the hole using Polyfilla Interior Filler:
http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC10164

What possibly was not the best idea knowing that I want to drill back into the plaster to fix my bath screen!

Did I make a mistake? How long should I wait before I can drill into it so I can put back the missing tiles and fix my bath screen? The tin says that it can be overpainted in 24h. However, knowing the size of the hole and my intentions I'm afraid I will have to wait longer?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Generaly speaking, the depth of the filler does not affect the setting time, the set is a chemical reaction. Setting times do vary from product to product, i would do as the instruction tell you, they will know exactly how their products perform.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back