Plaster or filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As subject really. Had a bit of an issue with this window in that the frame moved slightly forward and backwards. Solved that today by toshing in several screws. While I was there I decided to try and solve the windowsill problem too - there was a gap between the sill and window frame, and the sill was moving slightly.

The sill is now out and I will re-paint that before refitting it.

Can I get away with filler for these holes (circled) or would plaster be better? I've never applied plaster before so tips welcome.

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Paint in some PVA (thinned white wood glue) allow this to become tacky (helps patch stick) and fill with a good filler...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
I find gyproc's easy-fill a good half way house, but it comes in a 10kg bag and after about a year of storage goes off much faster than when new!

Otherwise I would just polyfiller it, I have never pva'd before hand, but for a job like that would get in with my fingars and rub a bit into the end of what your joining onto to help it bond a bit better. Fill it smoth, either to the window if you think its staying where put, or a few mm short and chalk up to the frame if not.

Assuming your just repainted, worse case, it comes off again and you think more on it, but 9 times out of ten, happy days. If your papering, you probably wouldn't even notice if it came off anyway....

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back