plaster overboarded ceiling still not dry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had my front bedroom overboarded and skimmed to give a clean new ceiling appearance. This was 3.5 weeks ago and looks good.

However, 95% of the ceiling has turned a very light pink, but there is the odd area that is still a darker pink. One part in particular is at the corner of where one of the overboards touches another towards the centre of the ceiling. It is definately darker.

It was only skimmed, well over 3 weeks ago and i thought it would be dry by now. Is it ok to do a mist coat and then paint properly? Or are teh odd darker patches in need of more drying time? If so is there anyway i can speed it up - hair dryer perhaps? or is that a bad idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it’s just a re-skim it should look dry (light pink or grey) after just a couple of days but should be left 10 – 14 days before painting. A skim coat should easily have dried out within 3 ½ weeks even with just background heating & if you still have damp areas then the moisture is getting in from somewhere, what’s above the ceiling? Was there damp in the ceiling before? Are you sure what you’re seeing is damp & not just where the plaster may have been over polished? Have you asked the advice of your plasterer?

If it’s indeed damp then you need to sort that out before painting or the paint won’t stay up there for long.

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. I have touched teh area in question and it feels very smooth and dry, just darker. In terms of moisture i doubt that it is anything like a leak because the patch is in such a defined shape - with very straight edges. (FYI - though we do have a few small leaks in the roof, but nothing serious and only get a few dripos in very heavy rainfall ,also the loft floor is overboardedso i doibt that coudl cause it)

Is it possiblethat this small area will alswya sbe a lighter colour and never go to a very light pink?

Thanks

If you can post a picture, I maybe able to comment further but it may not help as it’s very difficult to asses damp or something else without actually seeing it. If it’s 2 straight edges at right angles, it maybe just the outline where 2 boards meet & it’s been polished hard by the plasterer.

You really should get those leaks fixed as they will inevitably get worse & won’t help the long term condition of the roof structure let alone the boarding & ceiling below it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Richard, will try and take a photo tonight.

You arer right though- the patch is definately at the edge of one one of the boards at a corner on both edges of the coner.

He may have overpolished as i think he was initially worried that in this spot the tape and joint may have shown through as it was slightly thicker anmd not as well covered by teh skim, so he may have overpolished just to be sure

it's likely to be still drying out, i'm still looking at a wall that was plastered 3 weeks ago and still a week left in it, me thinks :!:

it's likely to be still drying out, i'm still looking at a wall that was plastered 3 weeks ago and still a week left in it, me thinks :!:
A full base coat & skim could take 4 weeks but a Multi skim over new PB :?: I've never known a skim take 3 1/2 weeks to dry out unless there are other problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back