plasterboard - reply needed before 5pm!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my previous post – 'lumpy ceiling //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14675'– we're going down the plasterboard route and just happen to be hiring a van tonight so this is our only chance to buy the stuff.

I'm looking at a Wickes catalogue and there is 'Baseboard', 'Wallboard' and 'Tapered Edge' plasterboard. :confused: Apart from the overall size, ranging from 1220x900mm to 2400x1200mm, what's the difference, and which do we need?

Also, 'fast set joint filler' - £5.29 or 'jointing compound' - £9.99?

Many thanks and blokes beware - white van lady on the loose at 5pm tonight!!! :evil:

LOL xxx

Sponsored Links
The room was about 4x2 m as I understand, so you should be able to cover the celing using 2 sheets of 2400x1200 mm plasterboard. I'd use tapered edge since you'll get one joint in the middle, and with tapered edge boards you will get a smooth fit. You'll also need some board joint tape. And please use screws, who ever thought nail were a good idea for plasterboards must've been a bit mad... :rolleyes:

Personal question. What thickness plasterboard can you buy? Wickes only seem to have 9.5mm. For smoothing over your celing like alfietinker is doing a thinner one would be better I think?

Taper edge plasterboard which has a slight taper at each long edge, much easier to tape and not noticeable compare to square edge board plasterboard. You might find it easier to use self adhesive mesh plasterboard tape for the joint.

Sponsored Links
Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you!!!!!!!

Hubby also thought nails were a bad idea, so who am I to argue?

There's also a B&Q warehouse next to Wickes so I'll see if there's any thinner board in there. But the ceiling is very high anyway so we won't lose any height if that's the reason why.

I'm so pleased - we get a nice new ceiling for abut £20!

Many thanks once again

xxx :D :D :D

When screwing the plasterboard into the joists make sure it's centre of the joists, if you miss you may hit the electrical wiring if any up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back