Plastering ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard that you can put plasterboard on top of the old plaster board on a ceiling rather than taken the old plaster off. Is this correct way of doing this?

If so, how to you find where the joint is?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats correct. It's quite common to plasterboard over an old plaster and lath ceiling (which is what you probably meant?).

Personally, I like to remove the old (especially if small area) and that makes attaching the new plasterboard easy.

Just a tip, but if it's an old house, check the condition of the light cable whilst exposed. Makes it easier to change!

If you decide not to, then just bash a few holes in the ceiling to find the rafters - and mark the walls where they are (I mark either side of the timber as opposed to the centre line)

Just finished this work in two rooms, gives a good finish but you'll need to level out the plasterboard before plastering/artexing or you will always see the bumps!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back