Plastering Help Needed from Damsel in Distress!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a few questions about plastering. We have just had a damp proof course done in our front room and so the walls are being replastered from half way down. We are hoping to decorate as soon as possible but have heard on the grapevine that you have to wait six months, is this true?? Also, can you paint straight onto the plaster, if so, how long should you wait and what type of paint should be used? Any advice would be much appreciated, my plans are to hang lining paper and then paint on the paper, but if painting straight on the plaster is ok I'd rather do that. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you look under the General DIY section there is a post called '' Line new plaster walls or paint directly on them '' . This should help you out.

Hi thanks for the reply, I did find that post particularly helpful but still have a few queries, probably sill ones but hey!!! I wondered if the plaster they use after a damp proof course is any different than normal plaster (the dpc company confused me talking about the additives they put in the plaster) and how long after the plaster is up do I have to wait before painting? And finally, is silk emulsion 'microporous', I can't find anything on the tin that would say it is. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The plaster often used is a plaster called Limelight. This is more resistant to damp and is an industry standard in renovating work especially after a Damp Proof course. As long as the plaster is totally dry then you could try any of the previous posts regarding sealing the wall or a dilute coat of emulsion.And as for the silk emulsion I am not too sure but if it is going onto an undercoat does it matter ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back