Plastering Mistakes - How to Rectify

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We hired a professional plasterer but I am not happy with his work so have let him go. I had another plasterer come round yesterday to quote and he pointed out the very poorly finished ceiling. There is a fair size gap between the wall and ceiling. It could be hidden if we were to cove it but I don't want coving.

The plasterer has said the original guy has plastered straight over wood and a crack will form all round the ceiling. I think he said he should have put up EMS? I've attached a picture (its not pink as my husband has done a mist coat).

Should I get the original plasterer to come back and rectify. If so - how can he rectify - what procedure/method should he use.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
Hi

We hired a professional plasterer but I am not happy with his work so have let him go. I had another plasterer come round yesterday to quote and he pointed out the very poorly finished ceiling. There is a fair size gap between the wall and ceiling. It could be hidden if we were to cove it but I don't want coving.

The plasterer has said the original guy has plastered straight over wood and a crack will form all round the ceiling. I think he said he should have put up EMS? I've attached a picture (its not pink as my husband has done a mist coat).

Should I get the original plasterer to come back and rectify. If so - how can he rectify - what procedure/method should he use.

I guess that this can't be remedied now - would my only option be to cover with coving?

Well you can fill the gap of course. If cracks do appear later, fill them if they bother you, same as everyone else does!

I think I'd soon get fed up of constantly filling cracks. I will go for some coving to cover the poor finish.

Sponsored Links
Get the plasterer back and get him to sort it out. Why be out of pocket if someone hasn't done his job right!!!

I'm well out of pocket with this - it was supposed to be fixed price work and I made the mistake of letting him have a large draw. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again.

If he comes back - how would he rectify? Is it a case of fixing EML round the top and then reskimming the whole wall or is there a simpler solution?

Dont need EML just use 4" fibre tape and bring it in with easi-fil as long as there's no paper on walls or ceiling...I would bring the ceiling in first then the walls...It looks like he has used fibre tape but not set it in the angle of ceiling and wall!!

Apparently he has plastered straight onto wood which is below the ceiling and sits on top of the bricks. A different plasterer said you cant plaster straight onto wood you have toput up EML first. Can you confirm if this is correct?

It there is a wooden wall plate on the wall then he could have put a strip of plaster board along the wood and and taped the ceiling joint. Or he could of put EML over the wood and taped the joint. Either way he has got to tape wall and ceiling if he is bringing both in so you don't get any cracks!!

OK. He should have used EML. So now I have to ask him to come fit tap to the ceiling and to the wall and use easi-fill to bring it in. When the easi-fill is dry should it be skimmed over - or will it be a good enough finish for painting?

Many thanks

He's gonna use the easi-fill instead of skim, then when it goes off he sands it down to blend in with ceiling and walls,,Then you can paint it and hope you don't see the join where he feathers it in!! If you do then start crying!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back