plastering old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I am about to plaster some old walls in my house using a gypsum plaster. It is a victorian house with lime plasterwork direct to brick. I've been told not to use gypsum plaster as it may stop the house breathing and encourage rising damp. Is that true? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, that is a great help. Do you use a similar technique for the lime plaster? damp/pva the walls? 2 coats etc etc etc.

hi i don't do much lime plastering but have a years heratige training what phil says is true if you have an old house made of cob or timber then this needs to breathe the cob house especially will have moister in it people who move into these houses from lets say a normal brick house think they have damp problems but they are supposed to be like that, i wasn't to sure about what if your house is brick and i googled that for you, apparently if its brick it don't need to breathe as much and you can get away with using modern plasters so it looks like its all down to what building you have and how much your building needs to breathe but if it was my house i would use lime plaster for 2 reasons 1 to be on the safe side 2 because of the character of the house

Sponsored Links
The Wikes one coat plaster is a good modern alternative for smaller jobs as its quite similar to lime plaster

Thanks for all your help on this. I've found a local supplier who does tarmac limelight finishing plaster. I'm going to give it a go soon (as soon as the snow melts and I can get the van off the drive!)

Hi

If you are going to use the limelite you may as well use gypsum. I have worked with limelite before on a old barn and the salts still come through. The limelite plaster contains gypsum, it is nothing like lime plaster.

If the wall are dry i would just use modern plaster!

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back