Plastering out building with signs of damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, just a little advice needed please. I'm in the process of renovating my 120 year old out buildings to use as a wash room again, this is mainly for a washing machine. I've had a new roof fitted Upvc door and window fitted too. It's just a single skinned wall and total size is 2m x 3m. I've had a professional out and he metered the wall and said there was damp in it. He's sent me a quote to include doing the following......
Cover floor and walls with Newton tanking and multi wall plugs
Lay 25mm kingspan with 18mm kaber floor,
22mm thermal boards,
Tape n set ceiling n walls,
Spray outside with extreme climate.

Total price over £2200!!
Is there a cheaper way of doing this....I.E put damp proof membrane on floor and concrete it. Sand cement with waterproof base on walls b4 plaster. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks People

Sponsored Links
If it's only to house a washing machine, do you really need to do anything else?

It's mainly for washing machine but will be used for other purposes too so would like it done to best standard as I've spent money on new roof etc as already mentioned.

Fair enough - just wondered if you weren't getting carried away for just an outbuilding. Can't help wondering if you will always suffer with damp problems as it's only single skin regardless of how much protection you lay on and therefore whether it is worth the effort & expense?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies but I'm after some advice on the damp proofing of the building and I'm obviously wanting to use it to the best I can as I've spent a lot already so.....yes it's worth it.

You could choose a tanking slurry, would be something you could also do yourself.
Maybe have a chat with your builder and see what you can do yourself to keep the cost down a bit. Most will be happy to help after all we are all in the same boat where money is concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back