Plastering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this forum so hello first!

We are currently renovating an 1860's house, have fortunately not had too many mishaps along the way!

Worst problem is every tradesman seems to criticise everyone's else work!

We have a team of plasterers in at the moment, now the joiner says the plaster should go right to the floor (plasters are leaving a gap - will be covered with new skirting boards), but the plasters say that they leave the gap for damp purposes?

Who is right?

Sponsored Links
The plasterers!!

There any many differing views on this, as a recent discussion on the screwfix talk site demonstrated!!

One of the reasons being that if you plaster all the way to the floor boards cracking can occur due to differing rates of expansion / contraction.

Tell the chippies to get on with their own work and stop whinging. ;)

Tradesmen are always the same!! :rolleyes:

On the ground floor the plaster should not touch any part of the dpc and any other floor best to leave approximately 25mm above the flooring to allow for wood expansion as mention by dougalhouse

dpc??? :eek: Maybe I should mention I'm female ha ha!

Thanks for your advice!

I'm at risk of running away and not coming back until project complete! :D

Sponsored Links
Most joiners would complain if it went to the bottom, and would hack the bottom off to stop the skirting twisting and pushing out at the bottom.

Mick Leek said:
D Damp
P Proof
C Course

:)

:oops: Thank you!

Having a loft conversion fitted also, went home last night to find a foot had come through a bedroom ceiling and also knocked off the very old coving! :eek:

Life gets better everyday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back