Please help - stripped doors are oozing along the grain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've already learned a lot from this forum - thanks, but couldn't find an answer to this one!

About 4 weeks ago I had some old (100yrs or so) doors stripped in a tank. The majority of the wood (pine) is fine but in a couple of areas there is an oozing from along the grain, coming out sideways. It's nothing to do with knots and seems to follow the groth rings along the grain.

I primed/undercoated (white) using Dulux water based paint one door and the paint is stained where the oozing is. The paint seams to stick ok but it is stained a brownish colour.

My question is (at last, I hear you say) Have I damaged the doors? Hopefully not! and what should I do to stop the stain showing up on the finished doors?

Any help and advise would be much appriciated.

Mowta.

Sponsored Links
You could try Aluminium Wood Primer it would almost certainly hold back any staining.

If its only a stain then you could use white styptic knotting..if its lifting the paint underneath youl have to scrape it off and apply the knotitng to the wood..it doesnt work miracles though.

Aluminium wood primer will also do a job for you as Mask says..only thing is with it is that its dark grey and will need more coats to cover it if the doors are being finished in white.

Had a similar problem with my cousins kitchen door that ahd been dipped. The dipping as we know is acid and that has to be thorougly washed off afterwards. When i painted the door with a primer it went yellow, ended up using a zinsser primer to seal it. I was finishing it with Dulux satinwood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. Robbie UK - you have described exactly the problem I have! Do you remember which Zinsser primer you used? I have looked on their website and there a loads!!

Cheers

I used Zinsser B-I-N primer sealer stain killer. This is shellac based, bit like knotting and will seal most things. It is a white primer. seemed to do the the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back