Plug Maker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a deck out of the standard softwood decking boards you can get anywhere.

1/. When screwing nails into the deck boards, should I drill a pilot hole first?

2/. Can you use a plug maker for the fascia boards. I am using a deck board as a fascia, I have seen joiners use plug makers when they fit skirting boards to hide the screw heads?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
(i'm a diyer, not a pro)

1. i did..... just feels safer, and if you get one of those switchable drill/driver bits, it's easy. But I suspect that with the quality of most deck boards you won't have to, unless you're close to the edge. But give it a go, if you start splitting timber every other fixing, pilot holes it is.

2. not sure i understand question 2... why would you want a neat and tidy finish on a fascia that (usually) will be well out of sight...?

As it's a facia and as such more cosmetic than structural you could always nail it with ovals or lostheads , punch and fill. But if you really do want to screw it then there's no problem using a plug cutter to produce plugs out of an offcut or the back of the facia.

1/. When screwing nails into the deck boards, should I drill a pilot hole fir
st?

Is it me or the OP who is a bit strange ? Or are we talking about somrthing a little bit unusual ?

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL:
Well, I'm sure we've all nailed a few screws in our time, so why not try it the other way round. ;)

1/. When screwing nails into the deck boards, should I drill a pilot hole fir
st?

Is it me or the OP who is a bit strange ? Or are we talking about somrthing a little bit unusual ?

good spot.. :oops: i just assumed the OP meant they were using screws, and should they pilot hole it first?

I did that on purpose to see if you were paying attention :oops:

No, I meant screwing screws - not screwing nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back