Potterton Profile 80E boiler about to go ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a`Potterton Profile 80E boiler, about a week ago I noticed my boiler would make a clicking sound about 20 - 30 mins after start up it would make a clicking noise and when looking at the flame it looks as if it's going out.

Now every day I start the boiler up the same thing happens, the clicking sounds happens a couple of times and then stops just wondered if anyone could point me into the direction of what may be going on.

I've taken a look internally and the heat exchanger chamber is clean the fan is working. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I thought this as well, I opened the boiler up today put there appeared not to be any corroded parts from the out side, also looked from the outside and put a torch down the flut put could see any signs of damage. Is there any way to check, is there any kits that baxi sell to resole the problem as removing the flue could be tricky as the plate is bolted in the inner wall.

pcb, that clicks sometimes :evil:

are you competent to work on your own boiler? what i mean is, if it goes tits up and someone dies could you prove in a court of law that you actually know what you are doing? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I thought this as well.

Fan hunting on/off/on/off is NOT a flue issue , get a RGI to look at it otherwise you WILL be throwing parts at it without resolving the problem.

The fan works ok the clicking noise is when the flame is impacted by which I assume is flame vitiation. I did notice that one of the rubber tubes (red) has become torn from the metal connectors and rings where present where they were torn had become visible so I assume some form of pressure had dislodged could this be further signs of flame vitiation?

I'm intending to get a RGI a mate to fit the parts but want to source the correct parts before he visits my place as he will be doing me a favor.

You'll being doing yourself a favour by letting your RGI friend diagnose, repair and then, most importantly, test the boiler for safety, as you clearly don't know what vitiation is.

You need an RGI to diagnose the fault first!

We are not going to tell you just so that you can fit the parts! It might be the gas valve!

Then you need the RGI to use the parts which he brought with him or which he goes out to buy.

We dont advise or encourage DIYers to do gas/combustion work for which they are not qualified or equipped.

Tony

Agile don't jump to conclusions this board is for people identify maintenance issues so they don't get ripped off please do not be judge and jury.

Not a good place to ask for advice which we are not allowed to give you according to the forum rules!

Even worse when you obviously think that all RGIs are going to rip you off!

Not a good place to ask for advice which we are not allowed to give you according to the forum rules!

Even worse when you obviously think that all RGIs are going to rip you off!

Agile where did I say all RGI are out to rip people, grow up and get a life.

Flame vitiation = bad combustion.

I don't think the boiler has got as far as ignition has it ? ;)

Boiler runs for about 30n mins no problems then has issues with the flame knocking noise /nearly going out does it approx two times in the space of about 5 mins then no noise issues after that very strange. Only started happening last week or so apart from this no issues touch wood, spoke to my friend who a RGI and didnt know where to start as he installs new boilers so looking for clues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back