Powerflush Advice

You have to drain down a towel rad or an ordinary rad and pour a bottle of Sentinel X400 or equivalent in and then leave in for a month during winter when the heating is on a lot. Then drain, fit a Magnaclean or equivalent, and refill the system, do a mains flush, turning each rad on one at a time. Does require some knowledge / experience, but not a highly technical operation. An experienced DIY mate might know how, rather than employing a £ 100 per hour plumber to walk around your house turning rads on and off.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of starting a website which tells you which horse you SHOULD have bet on in yesterday's race...
I don't get it?

Duh...the point is that the OP has ALREADY had the boiler fitted. Whilst a powerflush may still be beneficial, now that a new boiler is already fitted to dirty old rads, a long term clean with chemicals followed by a mains flush might well do a good job, and cost a lot less than a power flush.

Well NO not really MY POINT is a cold mains combi flush practically does feck all. it just skims over the top of the crap in the rads..... Yes it will run clear but you turn the system on, let it warm up and do it again.... Ill put a free POWER FLUSH on it for you if it's clear the second time!!!!!!

And where i say BEFORE you fit a new combi, MY POINT IS BEFORE YOU USE THE NEW ONE!!!!!

Obviously you wouldnt do a power flush, then fit the new boiler as you would have to flush/cleanse it again to remove flu etc etc

I agree with looneyfitter on this.

As a guidance for anyone thinking of a new boiler on an old heating system - get it powerflushed BEFORE the new boiler goes in!

Would you mind explaining why (to the ignorant)?

Also, I have got a quote from a company who also suggested fitting a 'MagnaClean filter' for £115+vat - should I take them up on it?

Well basically any iron build up deposits you have now, will be enjoying blocking up the nice clean parts of the new boiler.

If you bent a con rod or snapped/cracked a bearing in your car engine, would you get it mended and then just top it up with fresh oil? or would flush it out to ensure any bits of metal were removed, then fill it up?

Sponsored Links
I would be finding out why the people that fitted the boiler have not done this as it is in the manufacturers installation instructions,so they are possibly affecting the warentee of your nice new boiler.

I agree entirely! If you fit a new boiler its good practice to powerflush the system! Its also on most commissioning forms.

Even if I install a new system it gets powerflushed, it just takes less time than a clogged up system!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back