Prepare this mess for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small cloakroom that needs redecorating, I would like to paint the walls.

The walls were wallpapered and when I removed the wallpaper most of the paint underneath also came off so I am largely back to bare plaster which is in good condition.

The problem is with the top 30cm of the walls. At some time the room has been increased in height and the plaster on the top 30cm of the walls does not line up with the plaster on the bottom part. A poor effort had been made to blend the upper plaster with the lower but the blended part also came off with the wallpaper. I am now left with a step of about 3mm where the upper plaster joins the lower:
1679853086929.jpeg

Should I try to sand down the top part to meet the lower part or fill the lower part to meet the top part?

Sponsored Links
Are you looking for a completely flush wall where no evidence ever exists or just to blend one face to the other?

I'm looking for a decent finish without having the walls reskimmed by a professional plasterer. Something that I can paint with matt emulsion without an obvious visible join.

Sponsored Links
Get a ready mixed wall smoother and blade.
Sand with 180 grade sandpaper but use something flat so area is sanded flat. Don't hold sandpaper as your hand is not flat.

Look at the Toupret wall smoother. Watch video on how it's done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back