Probably the worlds easiest query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again...
Need to reseal between the doorframe outside and the wall as it's mainly crumbled away.
This seems as though it must be simple as cannot find any advice on it! Will poke out any bits but am thinking that squirty plastic sealant will not be good? So do I use a putty or is there a specific filler I can get.
Do not speak adequate spanish to ask in DIY shop... sorry.
Also the door gets direct sun but late in the day, would this cause anything I use to dry out too quickly - am intending to put sealant in as sun begins to set.
As ever, advice received with much appreciation and one day may be able to provide a real puzzler.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
if it is a wooden frame and a brick wall, you might be able to screw a hardwood batten (painted or stained to match the frame) on the wall to hide the gap

If so, you can fill the gap with expanding foam. Clean out the gap first, spray it with water, and mask off the wall and doorframe with masking tape and clingfilm (the expanding foam is very sticky). The foam has to be protected from sunlight (the batten will do that, or you can paint it or cover in silicon sealant when set.

The foam will hold the frame to the wall and block draughts.

Hi John, thanks for the reply, I think I was overly suggestive of the gap... it's only the old stuff that's worn away (not structural movement) and the gap is less than half an inch wide and not too deep so don't think the foam filler will have any where to go.
It is a wood frame against breize blocks but I don't know if I need something flexible, the frame doesn't really move but I know there's expansion required with the heat etc.. If I use a putty would it just dry out and crack again.
It's more just to tidy up the door than repair at the moment (prevention v cure etc!).

do the wooden batten then. If it is fixed to the wall it will not have a wood/wall gap.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you both for your suggestions - will go with the filler/sealant now know it's ok. (The batten thingy sounds a bit complicated - sorry am not sure where am putting it!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back