Problems with Brush Marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am painting some bare wood eg a new loft hatch door which is made from MDF which have been removed and worked on a bench.

I applied two coats Dulux Quick-Drying Wood Primer & Undercoat and one coat of Dulux Trade Quick Drying Diamond Eggshell so far. I have problems with brush marks on all surfaces I've painted both with the primer and eggshell. I have done some painting before but still relatively inexperienced but I haven't had this problem before. I used Harris Gold paint brushes. I sanded with 120 grit before starting and with 240 grit using a palm sander between coats.

Can anyone please give me some advice?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You are applying the paint too thick and not brushing it out enough.

Apply the paint and brush it out until you can hardly see any brush-marks. Then ever so lightly run your brush in the crosswise direction (just the weight of the brush) and you'll lose them all.

Oh and it might be a good idea to thin your paint by 5%.

Even better to not use water based acrylic, dries to quick. Use an oil based paint and when dry give a good sand down prior to any other coats going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back