Pump location in vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-hashing the CH/HW system during course of updating a 40 year old house. The oil fired boiler on the ground floor is a Worcester Danesmore 20/25, and the pump a Grundfos UPS 15.50. The pump is located on the CH Return, about a meter from the boiler. Question: is this the a good location?
Secondly, to suit moving HW tank upstairs, I would like to re-route both HW and CH pipes vertically from the boiler up to a back bedroom linen cupboard. This would logically involve re-aligning the pump from horizontal to vertical pipework. Again is this OK and can I still position close to the boiler?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pump (circulator) positioned on return isn't usually a problem although not the preferred method..
Should the cold feed/expansion pipe enter on the suction side of pump then discharge @ open safety vent could be an issue....should cold feed enter discharge side of pump then the system could be subjected to negative pressures dependant on system static head (opening a radiator vent pin with no water discharging unless pump is switched off).

Thanks, Steelmasons, I hadn't thought of it that way. Just seemed an odd circulation to me, although the system seems to have worked quite satisfactorily. Also, odd that feed from F&E is to return flow on HW system as 28mm leaves HW tank.

. Also, odd that feed from F&E is to return on HW system as 28mm leaves HW tank.
That's not odd for gravity circuit to hot water cylinder. The vent to the feed/expansion tank probably comes off the flow to the cylinder. Whole setup is just old.

Sponsored Links
Your description is typical of a 60's/70's system, when pumps, (circulators), were starting to become widely fitted, as we moved away from gravity systems with 1"/ 1.5" + pipework. IIRC a lot of the boiler manufacturers actually specified a pumped return, and specified which tappings on the HEX should be used for the pumped return connection. Some provided sufficient room inside the front casing for the pump to be located inside the boiler, and a dedicated tapping on the front of the HEX for the pumped return, others a spreader tube for the pumped return.

IIRC the Vulcan Continental, was one such boiler. My parents had one in their kitchen, (that house built in 1979), with pump inside front cover. Glow Worm, Potterton and other boilers of that age may also have been similar in design in that respect. Helped change a few of those in my time as an apprentice in the late 80's/early 90's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back