PVC to Metal Connector - Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm putting C/H into my house and need to run a section, approx 3m, in PVC. This is not what I would have wanted to do. The previous owners tiled over the floor so cannot lay copper in from the top and the joists run the wrong way so do from underneath. So unless anyone has any better ideas I'm going to have to go with a plastic section.

My real question is can you get metal connections for plastic pipe? I'm joining to copper btw. I'm scared that pushfit will pop off and have heard stories of o-rings going.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate of pvc's pros and cons as I've read lots already, I just want to do the best job I can in the situation I'm in.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
use JG speedfit pipe with their special insert for use in compression fittings :idea: and er, compression fittings ;)

In an ideal world you would not use compression or pushfit connections under floors.

In practice I might suggest pushfit for your application but they do have to be made properly and DIYers often dont have the knowledge.

Tony

use JG speedfit pipe with their special insert for use in compression fittings :idea: and er, compression fittings ;)

Like the normal everyday compression fittings?

In an ideal world you would not use compression or pushfit connections under floors.

In practice I might suggest pushfit for your application but they do have to be made properly and DIYers often dont have the knowledge.

Lol, ideal worlds don't exists!! (I wouldn't be where I am now if they did!!)
Why would you suggest pushfit and what do you mean made properly? Do you mean the connection has to be made properly, if so how is that done? I've used pvc for the hot and cold and had no problems connection things up properly. (I've not flooded my house yet!)

Sponsored Links
The leaks dont start immediately and can wait a year to twop or more!

Cut square with a cutter

Not scratched at the fitting

Fitted with an insert

Pushed fully in

Pulled back sharply to check and bite

Used with the fitting as they come and not reassembled wrongly

Probably a few more mistakes as well!

If you do opt for push fit then when you connect on to the plastic pipe you can see if the fitting and pipe are correctly engaged. There is indication markers on the plastic pipe and if you cut the pipe exactly on the line then the next indication line will be flush with the end of the fitting. Dont forget to twist the fitting when finished if using John Guest to lock it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back