New Forum Help Quote 'title' truncated by comma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you realise that if one includes a comma in the text defining the 'title' of a quote, that the title gets truncated by that comma? In other words, if I start a quote with:

[*quote="Yesterday afternoon, Fred Blogs"].... (asterisk added to stop forum software getting confused!)

... the title in the quote box will appear as

Yesterday afternoon said:

IMO, that is certainly not desirably functionality, and I can't really think why anyone would want it. I haven't yet experimented to see if other punctuation, or other non-alphanumeric, characters do the same thing.

Comments?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The comma is used to indicate different information to build a quote when using the quote button directly:

Code:
[QUOTE="JohnW2, post: 3435472, member: 158945"]Do you realise that if one includes a comma in the text defining the 'title' of a quote,[/QUOTE]

In the above example, it is given (and expects) username / post ID / member ID. So with your example it is expecting the post id when you use the comma.

Hope that makes sense!

The comma is used to indicate different information to build a quote when using the quote button directly: .... In the above example, it is given (and expects) username / post ID / member ID. So with your example it is expecting the post id when you use the comma. ... Hope that makes sense!
Yes, it makes sense, but it's a little annoying when one is doing it manually! Do I take it that this only happens with commas? Is there any way of getting a comma into the text?

Kind Regards, John

Yesterday afternoon,Fred Blogs said:

There is a solution, but it is using a different character which is not the conventional keyboard type comma (Unicode 'FULLWIDTH COMMA' vs 'COMMA'). You can use this in windows by typing Alt +FF0C or copy and paste from my example above.

Not very elegant but a work around if you really must have a comma in a quote attribution.

Sponsored Links
There is a solution, but it is using a different character which is not the conventional keyboard type comma (Unicode 'FULLWIDTH COMMA' vs 'COMMA'). You can use this in windows by typing Alt +FF0C or copy and paste from my example above.
Fair enough, although I have to say that, in your 'example above', it looks very much like a full stop to me!
Not very elegant but a work around if you really must have a comma in a quote attribution.
It's not that I 'must have a comma' but, rather (like this afternoon) it's very easy to type a comma without thinking!

Thanks for explaining, anyway!

Kind Regards, John

No problem! I know what you mean. Out of interest, this is the character above: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/ff0c/index.htm
Fair enough but, as I said (although it clearly is a comma if one zooms in a fair bit) at normal screen size, it looks like a full-stop to me (but maybe that's my ageing eyesight!)! ...
upload_2015-8-4_16-53-42.png

Kind Regards, John

Back