"R" reg Astra Estate 1.7 TD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several issues I would appreciate advice with please!

1. Failed MOT on emissions although only done 71k and exhaust gasses look very clean for a diesel. Runing a tub of injector clean and fitted a new air filter although the old one was not very dirty. Is this often a problem on this model?

2. How do you remove the inner plastic bit with the wing mirror adjusters ( and the failed tweeter ) ?

3. Within last 500 miles has started to make a distinct but not that loud click when adding or withdrawing engine power. Sound comes from the right of steering colum. It occurs when you would expect to be stressing a suspension stab bar. Is this a common failed bush of some kind? It seems surprising at such a low mileage but then its a pretty cheap car!

4. There does not seem to be any provision for a load space cover. Was this never provided?

Any ideas?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I think vauxhall diesels were always marginal on the smoke test,pre ecotec.
Being in the dog showing hobby,we have owned several and know loads of astra estate people.You need to keep oil and filter changes regular,the blow-by gas goes through the inlet,so dirty oil==dirty air.Fuel and air filters obviously done annually.We always used to fill the low-blow with sainsbury's city diesel and a tin of injector cleaner before mot week.Low sulphur fuel everywhere now though.

No seperate dampers on the engine,but left,right and rear mounts are damping units.One could be sagging.

Think you just ease the trim off the door after removing the mirror adjuster lever.(if manual)If I remember right,it has three plastic poppers built in.

Thought all estates had the roller cover.Normally hang on to the brackets on seat back that click into squabs when seat folded.Pull out and hook into moulded stops either side of tailgate aperture.

yestomud is right about the smoke problems, with regards to section 3, I would have a look at the front wishbone rubber bushes, ball joints and the anti roll bar links.
regards johnwr

Thanks for those comments.

Regarding the click it really sounds as if its from the bulkhead area.

I used to have something similar with a Peugeot 405 when the central nut on the suspension springs was not tight.

This one is very definately associated with power on/off but also can occur when going over a bump.

Would it be worth putting Sainsburys City Diesel in for MOT testing?

Is it worth trying to disconnect the blowby output from the air inlet just for the test?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I owned an astra estate and didn't have any mot probs, just make sure you take it for a blast on the motorway first ( advice from mot testers)

Libby lou lou,you are right about the good blast before the test,but you can't guarantee getting on the smoke test while it's red hot and breathing clean.
They put a thermocouple down the dipstick hole to record the oil temp,if it's cooled off the engine could be left to idle itself warm again,then you see the smoke on some engines! Long idle periods with the EGR valve open are not good.
Agile. I always used to run on city diesel for a week or more before MOT,only now,most fuel companies supply similar,low sulphur fuel routinely.I doubt it helps to remove the blow-by pipe,as it's continually running with dirty old oil that causes a build up of cacky deposits on the turbo snail housing and inlet manifold.Some of this gets pulled in and worsens the smoke when the tester maxes the rpm. Change the oil 3 times a year to minimise fouling of the inlet tract.The pre ecotec diesels generally need all the help you can give to clear the smoke test hurdle.Mind you,that goes for loads of others too,but we are just vauxhall talking here.

Agile said:
I used to have something similar with a Peugeot 405...
Peugeot 405 ® ?

Would it be worth putting Sainsburys City Diesel in for MOT testing?
Sainsburys ® ?
City Diesel ® ?

We're not fighting - I'm just trying to help. :D

Softus,not sure what you are querying unless you read the post too quick?
Agile has a noise on the astra,and it's similar to one he had on a Peugeot 405,which turned out to be the top bushes turning on the front struts.

Sainsburys? It's a large supermarket group who just may not be in your area.
City diesel,was sainsburys very early attempt at getting on the greener fuels bandwagon.It came out some years ago when most forecourts were still selling high sulphur fuel.It was clear like water almost,and supposed (it did)to reduce diesel exhaust emissions around town.It was a sure fire way of cleaning up GM diesels and the perkins prima engine in the montego.(remember those?)Most are in converted land-rovers these days.

Doooooh.Here was me thinking you hadn't heard of sainsburys.There must be someone who hasn't anyway??

yes2mud said:
Doooooh.Here was me thinking you hadn't heard of sainsburys.There must be someone who hasn't anyway??
Tesco?

I`d go with the M-Way thrash ;) a year or so after we got our astra 97 model ,I gave it a thrash ................after warming engine thoroughly .........flat out in each gear till the govenor cuts in ..............suddenly it kinda coughed and blew out a big puff of black crap :LOL: ..........that was @ c. 50k miles .......now its @ 116K miles and never had bother with emmison @ MOT time .....mechanic said it had a kind of diesel cat. on the exaughst and I`d unclogged it

Nige,you are right about the cat.From around the mid 90's I think,Vauxhall started fitting an oxidising catalyst to the diesels.Not quite as clever as a petrol cat,but cleaned up the exhaust a lot.Diesels having lots of torque,generally get driven to use it instead of revving through the gears like a petrol.By maxing yours out in each gear you blew it through.Which of course is what happens on the smoke test to get you a miserable fail.I still maintain though that doing all the items I mentioned,to minimise emissions you will have a cleaner cat anyway.I still take the Zafira to 4000 revs in 2nd and 3rd a couple of times a week to shift any soot which has stuck.

Sponsored Links
Back